2012-09-08

Full Loads

Dishwashers and Clothes Washers.  Two modern conveniences that many people have come to rely on.  Both machines use water and electricity to save us time and effort to clean things that we use every day.

Newer clothes washers use intelligent technology to weigh the load and make the most efficient use of water.  Dishwashers are available in more efficient designs, as well--even earning the highest possible Energy Star ratings.

Nonetheless, we may be able to apply human intelligence and human efficiency to save even more.  It goes without saying that we can save water and electricity--first and foremost--by running fewer loads per week, and making sure that each of those is a full load.

Why might we run anything less than a full load?  As I look through my drawers and cabinets, I realize that I head to the clothes washing machine when I get low on underwear.  And I fire up the dishwasher when I run out of silverware.  It would seem that I have plenty of shirts, bowls, pants, and plates...but I can't use any of them without silverware and underwear.

The solution?  More underwear and silverware!  Underwear can be relatively cheap.  Silverware can be too, depending on your preferences. The cost of this one, therefore, will vary from person-to-person.  However, the cost of additional silverware and underwear is fixed, and can lead to a savings of hundreds of gallons of water per year, and electricity as well.  Now that I have more of each, I don't run out of spoons before bowls, or underwear before socks.  Fewer loads.  Full loads.

Yep--I'm a briefs man.

--

Happy Greening,
Andy



No comments:

Post a Comment